Story Suggestions - July 2012
07 / 09 / 2012
This section is designed to give you ideas for hospitality-related stories (with a few Salamander suggestions). This includes traditional holidays, trends, recurring themes and unusual observances. We hope you find it helpful.
Short Lead (up to two months)
- July 27-August 12 – London Olympics
- August is National Golf Month – Salamander has 10 golf courses, including the Legends of Golf Trail which stretches across the Sunshine State and includes 168 holes designed by the greatest names in the sport.
- August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Day
- August 5 is International Beer Day – Homer Simpson’s favorite day!
- August 9-12 – PGA Championship (golf) at Kiawah Island, SC
- August 27-September 9 – US Open (tennis) in New York
- September 3 – Labor Day
- September is Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month
- September 9 is National Grandparent’s Day – Intergenerational travel is booming, including at condo/home-based resorts like several of Salamander’s.
- September 27 – World Tourism Day
Long Lead (two to six months)
- October – National AIDS Awareness Month – Salamander Founder Sheila C. Johnson executive produced the documentary “The Other City” – about the AIDS crisis in Washington, D.C.
- October – Photographer Appreciation Month – At Salamander, we love working with photographers.
- October 3-10 – National No Salt Week
- October 2 is Phileas Fogg Wager Day – Want to peg an “around the world story?” Could there be a better day?
- October 15 is National Cake Decorating Day – Salamander’s Chef Jason Reaves has established a reputation as one of the finest cake makers in the country, including winning an episode of Food Network Challenge!
- October 28 is National Mother-in-Law Day
- October 31 – Halloween
- November – Gluten-free Diet Awareness Month
- November 6 – Election Day
- November 12 – Veteran’s Day
- November 15 – Guinness World Record Day
- November 22 – Thanksgiving
- November 26 – Cyber Monday
- December 21 - End of the World! (at least according to some people's interpretation of the Mayan Calendar)
- December 26-January 1 – Kwanzaa
- December 25 – Christmas
- December 26 – Boxing Day
- December 30 – Bacon Day
- December 31 – New Year’s Eve
- January 1 – New Year’s Day
- January – National Hot Tea Month
- January – National Soup Month
- January 2-8 – New Year’s Resolutions Week
- January 23 – National Pie Day